Saturday, January 25, 2014

Getting Grown

So when we last left you Halo had been moved to a new barn, Cascade Stables. The farm is an older horse property set up for the starting of horses. A hot walker, small indoor, larger outdoor, and a family friendly atmosphere.

Halo was the only young horse and was still quite full of herself when I moved her in. Knowing her as I do today, it's hard to remember what a hot little ticket she was. While she was extremely good minded, she hadn't seen much in her short life, so everything was an excuse to spook and play. Turnout in the arena for a quick romp turned into marathon sweat sessions. Walks around the farm gave us endless reasons to spook.



Halo says, I are mad!

However suddenly one day I noticed that she wasn't quite so hot. She seemed to be getting braver. It seemed she was growing up! I started to really enjoy working with her. We started wearing a bridle, and then when that wasn't a big deal, we wore a surcingle and girth. I didn't have a saddle that fit her, so I set one on her back that didn't and walked her around in it without a girth. 






Halo's first time girthed up fully and lunged. She wasn't a fan of how cantering felt...


One day I decided I wanted some nice photos of my girl, so we even walked down the gravel road to my parents property. She was an absolute angel. I couldn't believe it.


You could totally see her growing up before your eyes. I'd turn her out for a run in the arena and she'd just rock back on her hocks and lope along like she was a born western pleasure horse. I was starting to really LIKE this horse I'd loved for so long.




No comments:

Post a Comment